Ah, Christmas! The love, the laughter, getting to see family and friends who have been or absent throughout the year makes it such a beautiful time. Another thing I love about the season
Ah, Christmas! The love, the laughter, getting to see family and friends who have been or absent throughout the year makes it such a beautiful time.
Another thing I love about the season is the decorations, carols and of cause the delicious food.
There are so many salads you can try and eat during your Christmas dinners.
They are easy to make and contain healthy ingredients that will titillate your taste buds.
These amazing Christmas salad recipes below are sure to make your guests happy and keep your waistline trim too.
· Chicken and Corn Salad.
Try this tasty but easy salad as an appetizer or side dish.
- 3 cups of cooked chicken.
- 2 cups of cooked corn.
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and cubed.
- 2 green peppers, chopped.
- 2 cups of Mayonnaise.
- Mix the chicken and corn with tomatoes and peppers.
- Stir in 1½ cups of mayonnaise and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce and decorate with the remaining lettuce.
· Chinese and Asparagus Salad.
- 2 tsp. soy sauce.
- Salad greens.
- 1 kg olive oil
- ½ tsp. honey.
- Cut the green part of asparagus in 1 inch part diagonally.
- Cook in boiling salted water for 2 minutes only. Drain and chill.
- Mix soy sauce, olive oil and honey together.
- Marinate the asparagus in this for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
- Serve on the greens.
· Coconut Salad.
Filled with fibre, this nourishing salad is easy to make as a side dish in your Christmas party or dinner.
- 1 cup of red quinoa.
- 1 cup of white rice.
- 1¼ cup coconut water.
- ¼ cup of basil.
- 1 tsp. dried mint leaves.
- 4 spring onions finely sliced.
- 1 cup coconut flakes, toasted.
- 1/2 of rice wine.
- 2 tsp. honey.
- Juice of 2 limes.
- 2 tsp. chicken stock.
- 1 long green chilli.
- Cook quinoa and rice in separate pots. Cook quinoa in coconut water and rice in ordinary water.
- Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper and separate with a fork. Allow cooling.
- Place other ingredients in a bowl and stir.
- Put the grains in a bowl and top with herbs, spring onions and coconut flakes.
- Pour dressing over it, stir and serve.
· Mango, Avocado and Chickpea Salad.
Surprise your guests with this delicious salad.
- 100g chickpeas.
- Juice of 1 lime.
- 2 tsp. coconut oil.
- 2 salted capers, rinsed. You can use any fish of your choice.
- 1 mango, sliced.
- 1 avocado halved.
- ½ cup of walnut, chopped.
- 100g sundried olives
- 2 bunch of rocket leaves.
- Soak chickpeas in 4 cups of water overnight. The next day, drain and rinse well under cold water.
- Put 4 cups of cold water in a pressure cooker, add a pinch of salt and cook for 30 minutes.
- Whisk lime juice, oil and capers in the bowl until combined.
- Place rocket leaves, mango and avocado on a serving platter. Spoon over chickpeas and scatter over walnuts and olives.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve.
· Pork Salad.
- 2 cups of diced cooked roast pork.
- 2 cups of diced celery.
- 1 Tsp. scallions.
- 1 Tsp. vinegar.
- ½ cup Mayonnaise.
- 1tsp prepared mustard.
- 1 tsp. minced parsley.
- Mix pork, celery and scallions.
- Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar and mustard. Toss into the salad.
- Serve on lettuce and sprinkle with parsley.
· Italian Tomato Salad.
Tickle your taste buds with this Italian dish.
- 6 large tomatoes.
- ½ tsp. black pepper.
- 2 Tsp. olive oil.
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1tsp.dried oregano.
- Peel and slice tomato. Arrange on platter.
- Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the oil on the tomato and let it stand for 2 hours.
· Chickpea and Anchovy Salad.
- 1 large red onion cut.
- 1 red bell pepper diced.
- 2 cups of spinach.
- 2 cups of red leaf lettuce.
- 3 anchovy fillets in oil, drained.
- 1 ½ cup of chickpea.
- 3 Tsp. lemon juice.
- 3 Tsp. olive oil.
- 1 tsp. salt and black pepper.
- Add all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix lemon juice, olive oil, 1 tsp. of salt and black pepper in a bowl. Whisk them together.
- Mix ingredients together and drizzle with dressing.
· Fruited Cabbage Salad.
- 4 ½ cups of cabbage, finely shredded.
- ¾ cups of green apples.
- 3 Tsp. lime juice.
- 2 Tsp. honey
- ¾ cup of seedless grapes.
- ¾ tsp. sea salt.
- I tsp. prepared mustard.
- ½ celery seeds.
- ¾ red apples, sliced.
- Grapefruit wedges.
- ½ cup of mayonnaise.
- Combine cabbage, grapes, green apples and grapefruit in a large bowl.
- Put the mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the cabbage mix. Toss well.
- Line a salad bowl with the lettuce and turn cabbage into it.
- Garnish with red apple slices.
· Fruit Salad.
A colourful bowl of fresh fruit is always a great treat! Serve this to your guests and they will be glad you did.
- 2 bananas.
- cottage cheese.
- Peel and dice pawpaw, pineapple, banana and watermelon.
- Squeeze lemon and drizzle on cut fruits to prevent them from darkening.
- Get a small bowl and line it with lettuce.
- Mold cottage cheese in the centre of the bowl.
- Arrange cut fruits around the cottage cheese.
- Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes. Serve chilled.
· Sweet Potato Salad.
I love sweet potatoes. They are not only nutrient dense but versatile. You can wow your guests with this simple salad and make the miss summer.
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed.
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced into half-moons.
- 2 tsp. coconut oil.
- Kosher salt
- ½ dried cranberries.
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled.
- 1 Tsp. dried mint leaves.
- 2 carrots cut diagonally.
- Black pepper, ginger and garlic.
- 2 tsp. vinegar.
- 1 tsp. Djon mustard.
- 1 tsp. honey.
- ½ tsp. paprika.
- ½ tsp. cumin.
- ¼ coconut oil.
- Put sweet potato, onions, carrots and oil in a large rimmed baking sheet. Season with garlic, salt, pepper and ginger.
- Spread them evenly on the sheet in a single layer.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 20 minutes. Let them cool and put them in a large bowl.
- Mix vinegar, honey, mustard and spices together. Gradually pour in the oil and whisk them together. Add salt and black pepper.
- Add feta cheese, cranberries and parsley to potatoes. Drizzle salad with dressing and serve.
Try these salad recipes which are healthy plus tasty and give your family and guests a Christmas treat to remember.