I know the feeling. You have got your diet right and have decided to get in shape. However, you don’t know where to start.
Exercise is a crucial element you need to add to your routine. It’s not just for weight loss but strength to function in your daily life.
However, with the numerous fitness routines ranging from Crossfit, Pilates, insanity etc. It is easy for you to get confused with what works.
Truthfully, getting fit is not rocket science. All you need are exercises that are simple and target multiple groups at the same time.
It should consist of aerobic (cardio) and anaerobic (strength training) exercises to help you build you burn excess fat, build muscle tone, work your internal organs like your heart, lungs etc. You also get to look better in and out of your clothes _ Yay!
If you are starting your fitness journey, all you need is to find simple exercises that can be done with or without equipment. Mind you, just because something is simple doesn’t mean it is ineffective.
They can be just as effective as the advanced ones but, you have to do them consistently and increase the repetitions when your fitness level increases.
Do these ten simple exercises listed below to get or stay in shape.
Walking is one of the easiest exercises you can do. After all, you do it every day.
It is gentle on the joints for those who are not fit enough to run. It is also excellent for people with arthritis.
In addition to that, walking improves circulation, sleep and burns excess body fat. A brisk 30 minutes walk burns 200 calories.
A study at the University of Tennessee revealed that women who walked have less body fat than those who didn’t.
That is good for your waistline. Plus it’s free. All you need to do is put on your trainers and walk. Aim to get 10,000 steps daily.
Skipping is another simple exercise that you can do anywhere. There are so many benefits you can get from skipping. Some of them are:
- Increased body coordination.
- Efficient lung capacity and endurance.
- It works the whole body
- It burns excess body fat.
Do you know that skipping burns 1,600 calories an hour? That makes it as good as running. So get a skipping rope and start.
Skip for 30 minutes with a minute rest interval.
They are one of the oldest and most effective exercises to do. If you want a fit and toned body, add press-ups to your exercise routine.
They are so good because they work multiple body parts like the triceps, back and chest muscles.
- Lie face down.
- Place your hands on the floor and keep your elbow and hands in line with your shoulders.
- Breathe in, pull in your stomach and raise your body.
- Exhale and get back into your starting position.
Begin with ten repetitions and work up to twenty-five repetitions.
This simple exercise works the glutes, thighs and hamstrings. It is not only good for you, but it also makes your booty and thighs rounder, firmer and shapely.
- Stand with your feet shoulder apart. They should be wider than shoulders.
- Bend your knees and move your back as if you want to sit on a chair. Ensure that your knees don’t go beyond your toes.
- Your knees and legs should be at a 90-degree angle.
- Move up and start again.
Do 15 repetitions in 3 sets thrice a week.
This exercise is excellent for building and shaping all the buttocks muscles.
- Kneel on all fours with your feet under your shoulders. Your back should be straight and not bent or arched backwards.
- Keeping your hips square to the floor, raise one knee up and out to the side to match the height of your hips.
- Hold for a second and return to the floor.
Do 25 repetitions on each leg for 2 sets. Trust me, you will feel the burn in that area.
This classic exercise is simple and effective. It tones the buttocks, hamstrings, lower back and abs.
I like it because it is excellent for people who want to tone their glutes but can’t do squats because of weak knees.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent hips apart. Your hips, feet and knees should be parallel and relax your lower back.
- Inhale to prepare. Exhale and pull your stomach into your spine. Lift your pelvis off the floor until it reaches the top.
- Pause for a second and squeeze your butt for a second. Then return to starting position.
Do fifteen repetitions in three sets.
This exercise works all the muscles of the abdomen especially the rectus and obliques. It tones the six-pack and gives you a trim waist.
- Lie down on your back and place your left hand under your head. Keep your other hand stretched out beside your body.
- Inhale and lift the elbow of the hand the arm behind your head and prepare for movement.
- Exhale, pull your tummy in and lift your head and twist your shoulder to the opposite side.
- Inhale and return to starting position.
Do ten repetitions on each side and aim for three sets.
This simple exercise works the rectus abdominals especially the lower abs.
- Lie down on your back
- Bend your knees and lift your legs. Make sure your lower back stays on the floor.
- Inhale to prepare. Exhale, pull your stomach in and lower your legs to the floor but do not let them touch the floor.
- Return to starting position.
Do 25 repetitions in 3 sets.
This exercise looks easy but is very powerful. It tones all the abdominal muscles especially the transverse muscles ‘’the deepest abdominal muscles that wrap around your external and internal obliques. They create a natural corset that makes your midsection look great.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your hip apart. Arms should rest on your side with palms facing up.
- Inhale to prepare and exhale, then exhale and pull your stomach in towards your spine. Don’t move any other part of your body.
- Hold for a minute and exhale.
Repeat ten times.
This yoga pose stretches the front of the body especially the chest, stomach and spine. It also strengthens the glutes, arms and shoulders. Do stretches at the end of your workout to keep your muscles supple.
- Lie on your stomach and put your arms on your side.
- Place out your arms In front of you and they should be wider than your shoulders.
- Gently lift your head, shoulder and torso off the floor while keeping your hips on the floor.
- Hold for 10 seconds and return to starting position.
Do three repetitions.
So there you have it. Exercise shouldn’t be expensive. Take it one step at a time and you will be amazed by the benefits you will reap. Try it and see.
Hope to hear from you soon!