Thanksgiving! I love that day because it is the time of the year I sit down to do a little reflection and thank God for all His blessings.
Apart from that, I love it because of all the delicious food. I said it! I get to savour during that day. Especially, roasted turkey and side dishes.
However, this year I have cleaned up my diet and decided to indulge as usual this thanksgiving with healthier versions of the side dishes, I used to eat.
If you are looking for healthy side dishes to prepare for your family and guests, look no further. You can wow your guests with these 12 healthy side dishes listed below.
They are delicious and won’t sabotage your health and fitness goals.
Green Beans with Shallots and lemon.
This side dish is healthy and so easy to make. The zest from the lemon will bring so much flavour to it. You can make it a day before and give it a quick stir right before serving. You will love it.
- 1-kilo green beans.
- 1 tsp coconut oil.
- One tsp honey.
- Two shallots, finely diced.
- One lemon, zest.
- Salt and pepper.
- Boil water in a pot. Add salt and green beans. Blanch vegetables for 3 minutes. Drain and put in ice-cold water immediately to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add the shallots and fry for 2 minutes. then add the honey and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the green beans and lemon to the pan and stir fry for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
I love my cruciferous vegetables. They can be delicious if you prepare them in different ways and ingredients.
This simple recipe can be a great addition to your Thanksgiving table.
- 4 ½ cup finely shredded green cabbage.
- ¾ cup seedless white grapes.
- ¾ cup finely chopped red unpaired apples.
- ½ cup mayonnaise.
- ½ tsp grated lemon peel.
- 2 Tsp honey.
- ¾ Tsp salt.
- 1 tsp prepared mustard.
- ½ tsp celery seeds.
- Lettuce leaves.
- Mix cabbage, apple and grapes in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, put mayonnaise and remaining ingredients and stir.
- Pour mayonnaise mixture over cabbage mixture. Toss and mix well. Chill.
- Get a large bowl and line it with lettuce. Put the cabbage into a bowl and garnish it with apple slices.
This veggie is not just for fries. Sweet potatoes can be cooked in a variety of ways. They are also great for people on a Paleo diet. Try this side dish. You won’t be disappointed.
- Sweet Potatoes.
- Coconut oil.
- Peel potatoes and wash thoroughly. Rub with coconut oil.
- Wrap each potato in aluminum foil paper.
- Lay potatoes on coals and barbecue turn for 30 to 45 minutes. Potatoes are ready if they feel soft when gently pressed.
- Remove the potatoes from the barbecue and remove the foil. Cut them in both directions and press them gently to break open.
- Fluff with a fork. Season with coconut oil, salt and pepper.
A meal is incomplete without a salad as a side dish. This salad is low in carbs.
It is suitable for Paleo or Keto lovers or anyone who wants to reduce their carb intake. It is also easy to make. You won’t wear yourself out in the kitchen.
- 3 cups bite-sized pieces of roasted turkey.
- 2 cups diced celery.
- 2 cups seedless grapes.
- 1 Tsp grated onion.
- ¼ cup chicken or turkey broth.
- ¾ cup Mayonnaise
- Two hard-boiled eggs.
- Mix the turkey, celery and grapes in a bowl.
- Mix the onion with the turkey or chicken broth and mayonnaise.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Serve on a bed of greens and garnish with sliced eggs.
These rich tangy bars will satisfy your sweet tooth without all the unhealthy ingredients.
- Two cups of coconut flour.
- One cup honey
- ½ tsp grated lemon zest.
- 1 cup coconut oil.
- Four large eggs.
- Three large egg yolks.
- 4 tsp finely grated lemon zest.
- Lightly grease a 9* 13-inch baking pan. Line bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- To make crust, place flour, honey, salt and zest in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle.
- Mix on low. Gradually add the coconut oil until crumbly dough forms. Press dough evenly and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake crust for 25 minutes until golden brown at the edges. If the crust has shrunk away from the pan sides, gently push back into place.
- To make the filling, whisk together all ingredients. Pour over crust and bake until filling is set at 25 minutes.
- Cool completely and cut into 2* 2-inch squares.
Aubergine is a versatile vegetable. You can prepare it any way you like. They are delicious. You can try this recipe and eat it as a side dish this thanksgiving.
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped.
- ½ cup olive oil, divided.
- One tsp honey.
- ½ cup lime juice.
- Half tsp black pepper.
- Half cup chopped fresh basil.
- 1 ¼ cup kosher salt.
- One large Aubergine, cut crosswise into ¾ thick slices.
- Two medium Courgette halved crosswise and cut lengthwise into ¾ thick slices.
- Preheat grill to medium (400F). Combine shallots and lime juice in a bowl of a mini food processor. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the honey, basil and ¼ cup of olive oil and run for 10 seconds. Stir in ¼ tsp of salt and ¼ of pepper. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Brush aubergine and courgette slices with olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ salts and pepper. Grill aubergine and courgette slices on each side for 4 to 5 minutes covered with grill lid until slightly charred and tender.
- Transfer to a platter and spoon ½ cup of dressing over vegetables. Serve with remaining dressing.
This recipe is so good and easy. Even if your family and guests don’t like vegetables, this dish will be devoured by them. Butternut fries are delicious and also a good substitute for French fries.
- I tsp corn starch.
- 1/5 coconut oil.
- One butternut squash is peeled and cut into thin strips.
- 1 tsp cinnamon.
- ½ tsp garlic powder.
- ½ onion powder.
- Salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss the butternut squash with corn starch to coat well.
- Add the coconut oil, cinnamon, onion powder, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Grease the baking sheet with coconut oil and lay the fries on them in a single file. Make sure the pan is not overcrowded.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, flipping over after 20 minutes. Remove when lightly browned and crispy.
This healthy recipe is great for a backyard party as a side dish.
- ½ kilo beef or pork.
- One pineapple is cut into chunks.
- Teriyaki marinade.
- One jar of olives, jumbo and drained.
- Teriyaki marinade for barbecue.
- ¾ cup pineapple juice.
- 2 Tsp soy sauce.
- 2 TP lemon juice.
- Two cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
- One small bay leaf.
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves.
- Process ( marinade).
- Combine the pineapple juice and the remaining ingredients into a pint-sized screw-top jar.
- Cover jar tightly and shake well. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to use. It makes one cup.
- The kebobs.
- Arrange the hot briquettes on the barbecue. Brush the skewered meat with the reserved marinade.
- Lay the kebobs on the grill close to the coals. Barbecue kebobs, basting with more marinade and turning frequently.
- Grill for 20 minutes or until meat is thoroughly done.
Try this salad recipe. You just might like it.
- Six tomatoes.
- 1 ½ cup shredded pineapple.
- 1 ½ cup chopped roasted tomatoes.
- 2 Tsp lemon French dressing.
- 1 tsp salt.
- Peel the tomatoes and slice from the top and remove the seeds and pulp. Chill the tomatoes.
- Combine the tomato pulp, pineapple, peanuts, lemon French dressing and salt.
- Fill the tomatoes with the mixture and serve on lettuce leaves.
One large onion sliced.
½ cup French dressing.
Few drops of pimento.
- Peel and slice the oranges and combine with the onion. Marinate for 1 hour in the French dressing.
- Garnish with the pimento and serve on crisp salad greens.
- Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream.
If you have a sweet tooth like me, this is one recipe you need to try this thanksgiving. It’s so delicious and it has a texture and flavour everyone will enjoy.
- Five very ripe bananas
- One tsp honey.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil.
- 1 cup of chunky peanut butter.
- ½ ground cinnamon.
- Slice the bananas into 1/3 inch thick rounds and place them in a zip-top plastic bag. Freeze them for 4 hours.
- Place the frozen bananas, peanut butter and honey into a blender. Let it sit for 3 minutes and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Serve immediately. You can freeze it again for one hour after preparation if you like firmer ice cream.
This middle eastern salad requires few ingredients and can be prepared in less than 10 minutes.
- Three large cucumbers.
- 3 tsp of Apple cider vinegar.
- One clove garlic, crushed.
- 1 Tsp soy sauce.
- 1 tsp sesame oil.
- Wash and score the length of the cucumber wise with the prongs of a fork. Don’t peel them.
- Then slice them thinly. Put them in a bowl of vinegar, garlic and soy sauce. Leave it to stand in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Stir in the sesame oil just before serving.